Y’all know I love romances in books. Who doesn’t, right? But I’m also incredibly picky about the romances that get my heart goin’!
Things I Hate & Love in Book Romances
Let’s start with … HATE:
9. Douchebags. I’m talking about the douchebag-to-nice-guy character arc where there’s no actual change in character. You know the one—where you want to scream at Miss Lovestruck: “HE’S STILL A JERK!”
8. Girls who don’t know how pretty they are. There’s nothing wrong with having self-esteem issues. But listening to Supermodel Susie whine about her looks isn’t my idea of a good time.
7. Guys who kiss girls when they don’t want them to. This is a horrifying trend in young adult fiction. A boy should not forcefully kiss a girl if she doesn’t want him to!
Whose preschool teacher didn’t give that lesson on day one?
6. Cowboys. Unpopular opinion, I know.
5. Ambiguous millionaires. Ugh. Talk about tired trope. If he’s gonna be a millionaire, at least have a good reason.
4. Millionaire cowboys. Seriously, you guys?
And now let’s move on to … LOVE:
3. Characters who don’t get along at first. Make ’em work for that romance! (*Disregard millionaire slam above.)
2. Funny guys. I am a huge sucker for the class clown.
1. Sweet guys. Being a “man” doesn’t have to mean being a macho jerk. Can we please have some more sweet, dare I say timid, guys like Peeta?!
Now tell me in the comments, what do you hate and love to see in book romances??